“Go to your Highest Thought about yourself. Imagine the you that you would be if you lived that thought every day. Imagine what you would think, do, and say, and how you would respond to what others do and say.” from Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialog, Book 1 by Neale Donald Walsch
What if you could live your highest purpose today? How can you best serve others? This doesn’t have to be something earth-shattering or a million dollar idea. It is simply your contribution to the world. It’s probably something that you are already passionate about. It may be something you feel is frivolous, or you would never be able to make money at it so it feels like a waste of time. Which is ironic because what you are really wasting is potential.
The truth is, many of us are living lives that are responsible, but not necessarily passionate. Our culture doesn’t do passion. We are taught to be responsible. And so we live responsible lives that aren’t necessarily in alignment with our true purpose.
It is not merely for your own good that you live your true purpose. It is for the good of all. You were put on this earth to do something. You are meant to make some sort of difference in the world. That task is not to sling burgers or slog away at a dead end job for 8 hours a day. It is wasteful and selfish to not contribute your talents to the betterment of the planet.
So, if you have come up with what you think your purpose is, look underneath it. What else do you see there? If you are like me, you have grown up with people telling you to think sensibly. Embarking on crazy adventures was discouraged in favor of doing something worthwhile. Don’t low-ball yourself, remember you’re looking for your Highest self. Don’t merely covet someone else’s life, reach inside and find your own God-given or karmic purpose. Is there something else there that draws you? Write down whatever comes to mind even if the idea seems silly.
Let’s unpack something in that last paragraph. I said, “your own God-given or karmic purpose”. It is not merely for your own good that you live your true purpose. It is for the good of all. You were put on this earth to do something. You are meant to make some sort of difference in the world. That task is not to sling burgers or slog away at a dead end job for 8 hours a day. It is wasteful and selfish to not contribute your talents to the betterment of the planet. It is your karmic duty to live your highest purpose.
Once you come up with your one true purpose, your best way to serve, delve into who she is. What does her typical day look like? What are her troubles? How does she dress? What does she do with her free time? While you are visualizing, grab some of the things you come up with and add them to your own life. Next week grab a few more things. In order to attract this life, you have to become the person who this life is attracted to.
Many people don’t want to do this because it seems inauthentic. Like they will be a wanna-be or a poser. The trick is to not only wear the clothes or mock the attitude but to actually become the person you want to be. It isn’t “fake it until you make it” exactly because you aren’t faking. You’re getting out there and doing it. Which in itself means that it is possible.
Sometimes there are obstacles that you will have to get over or around to realize your true purpose. Just because you have found your karmic path, doesn’t mean it will be easy. Keep in mind, however, that obstacles may not be the negative things they seem. An obstacle may just be the universe’s way of redirecting you down a more authentic path. Maybe there is something else you need to learn before achieving your true purpose. Maybe in the act of dealing with the obstacle, you discover a purpose which is more true to you that you didn’t know existed before.
Who is the best version of yourself? I challenge you to go in and meet her. See how she lives, what kinds of friends she has, what kind of work she does, and how she conducts herself. Then start living that life today. Dress like her. Surround yourself with her friends. Or, if her friends aren’t attracted to you yet, live like a person who would attract those kinds of friends. It is your karmic duty to become the highest version of yourself.
How to live your highest thought
- Meditate on what your true purpose is. Clear some time where you can be alone and uninterrupted. Then really go deep. Focus on how you can best serve others.
- Write down everything that comes to mind even if the idea seems silly. Sometimes the silliest ideas are best. This might be a several week journey, so start a journal and keep writing down clues that come to mind.
- Unpack these ideas. What else is under there? How can you expand on what is there?
- Visualize the person you would be if you lived this purpose authentically every day. Be detailed. What does your life smell like? What foods do you eat? What color is your office?
- Create a vision board. This is helpful because it is a concrete, but changeable, reminder of who you are and where you are going. You can either make a physical board with pictures of what your highest thought looks like or create a virtual Pinterest board.
- Live today as if you were already that person. Cultivate the everyday habits and routines that she has. Experience what it feels like to live in her skin. Not what you expected? Then choose again. Redirect and continue down your new path.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people. That is, people who are like-minded with who you are in your ideal life. This may also mean you will have to drop people who don’t fit this vision.
If you found this post helpful, please hit the follow button. If you find this useful, there’s a good chance your friends will, too. Share this with your friends right away while you are thinking of it. Thanks for reading!
For more motivation delivered straight to your inbox each week subscribe to my newsletter. You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram for valuable daily content such as recipes, helpful products, morning thoughts, inspirational books, and influential people.
I am now taking new clients! Schedule an appointment
Nourish Me Wellness launches on January 15! This is where I get to serve you better. You get the benefit of working with me one on one to discover the best version of yourself and achieve epic wellness! I can’t wait to share this with you!